Friday, April 11, 2008

Crazy Spring Weather

I haven't had a chance to write about all the storms we have been having lately. Last Thursday we had 7 tornadoes touch down in the Central Arkansas area and one of them hit about a block from my house. Luckily in Cabot the damage was minimal. The weather service said it was an F2 tornado.

Yesterday we were under the gun again. The National Weather Service called for storms worse than we had seen last Thursday. Early in the morning I received a call from one of the other Captain's at my Fire Department asking me to be prepared to respond if we got hit in this area again. He also told me that MEMS, the ambulance service for all of the Little Rock area had called in all their people and had every ambulance in the city staffed just in case.

Luckily for us, the storm never quite developed as bad as predicted. It passed just south of Little Rock and tracked about 6 miles south of Cabot. We did get a lot of rain. Probably 1.5 inches in about an hours time. I heard of some trees down but no tornadoes were reported on the ground. I think everyone was expecting the worst all day. Luckily we were missed this time.

Here are a few pictures of last weeks damage in the Cabot area.

This was a used car lot in downtown Cabot



Whats left of a metal building about a mile from my house



Another metal building wiped out. Less than 1/2 a mile from my home.



Tree and debris along S. First Street


This house had a tree take out their carport. Very lucky. About a block from me.

No comments: