Thursday, March 13, 2008

Run Updates

Tuesday:
Tuesday nights running clinic called for a timed mile. The reasoning behind this is that you need an all out timed mile to base your other training on. You can arrive at a relaxed pace, LT pace, interval pace, repetition pace along with realistic race times for varying distances. McMillan Running has a nice calculator for this.

We started out with a 2 mile warm up. Then 4 strides and it was time to start. I ran behind Kelly and Annette. I just wanted to beat my October timed mile of 8:25. I started out somewhat conservative with plans to pick it up in the last 800 meters. I tried to stay up with Kelly and Annette and by about 800 meters, I was wishing it was over. It was warmer than we were used to so this made it a little harder. With about 400 meters to go, the girls started kicking it. I was pushing to stay up with them. I kept swinging my arms and trying to do all the things with form that I was supposed to. I could hear the others in the group cheering us on as they stood at the one mile mark. It was like racing to a finish line. With about 50 meters to go I finally passed Annette but I couldn't catch Kelly. I ended up with an 8:18 and Annette had an 8:20. I was happy as the first 800 I was running behind my 8:25 pace. After the cool down run I ended up with about 3.6 miles for the night.


Wednesday:
Wednesday night I just ran my neighborhood 5k route. More or less a recovery run. No big story here other than I ran the first mile too fast.

Thursday is a rest day. Friday we are participating in the 26.2 mile Inspiration Run which is a local club run that goes to all the elementary schools to promote getting the kids off the couch and out running/biking. We did this last May and it was awesome. The little kids treat us like rock stars as we run or bike into their school. There could be national coverage on this and some of the local stations and newspapers will be covering the story. More to come later on this!

No comments: