Sunday, January 6, 2008

Updating my Blog

Wow it's Sunday and I am behind on updating my blog. So here's an update:


Thursday Night Running Clinic
Since Tuesday was a holiday this week we had the running clinic on Thursday night. Coach Dennis decided to return to the Cabot High School track which I always like. I decided to go and try running a couple miles to see how things felt.

After I got there I did a brisk walk around the track for a warm up and then we had a group meeting to discuss the workout for the night. I told Coach Dennis that I would be in the beginner group. If it wasn't for injuries I would have probably been running with the advanced group. After giving the advanced and intermediate their workout it was time for the beginners. Well, myself and Annette's sister Tracy were the only ones left. Dennis advised Tracy to do some 200's and 400's with walk breaks in between. When he got done explaining that whole workout I asked him what he thought I should do. He said NO speedwork. But that I should just run and see how things felt. I told him I planned to run a couple slow miles just to see how things were feeling and to get my muscles back used to running. I think I did one lap running and when I got back around to Dennis he stopped me for a minute. He made a suggestion that I might want to run on the astro turf instead of the track. He said that he remembered when he coached with Nike that when they had athletes coming back from an injury they would often have them run on the football field rather than the track since it was a softer surface. So thats what I did.

The laps went by pretty quick though I was running slow. A few laps later I stopped and talked to Dennis again. He told me that running on the turf would also help strengthen the smaller muscles in my lower legs and feet. I guess all the squishiness worked muscles you normally would not work on the road.

I kept it up, it was not hard even though the temperature was about 28 degrees. I was dressed just right for the run. My heart rate seemed a little higher than normal so I figured that was just the loss of conditioning. I ended up with a final of 2.94 miles. I don't remember the exact average pace but it was slow because I took some walk breaks and stopped a few times to talk. It was nice to get out and run with everyone again.

The next day I noticed that I was sore in places I had never been sore in before. My butt was sore! My leg actually felt fine. No soreness or pain at all. My old nagging left foot achillies was more sore than anything. I emailed Dennis later and told him about how my recovery from this run was and told him about my new sore spots. He explained that it was because of running on the grass. You do work some different muscles and thats why my butt was sore. If you want a tight butt, running on the turf is the way to go!

Not much to report on running other than I jumped on the treadmill and did 1.2 miles with 1 mile of solid running. No pain no hurts. My plan is to start back doing just these short 1-3 miles runs. I go back to the doctor on the 15th and the way things feel now I am hoping for a full release back to running. I know it will require a build up but I still feel pretty strong. Coach Dennis has said many times that my muscles will come back stronger than ever so we shall see.

FD Stuff
It seems like we have been really busy at the fire department this week. The extreme cold brought on lots of fires. Saturday morning started shortly before 5am with an auto accident call. This one ended up being a rolled over abandoned vehicle. It looked like whoever wrecked it kicked the back glass out and took off. Most likely they were drinking and didn't want to get caught. We see a lot of this. I can't count the number of times we have rolled up on upside down vehicles in the middle of the road to find no one inside or around. Usually we do find lots of beer bottles/cans in the vehicles.

I am on a committee to spec out and purchase a new fire truck and Saturday afternoon we had a meeting to go over the specs. Let me tell you, there is a lot of planning that goes into building a fire truck. From chassis manufacture, engine sizes, all the way down to hose connections. It's very complicated. And spending between $195,000 and $225,000 of the tax payers money we have to make sure we get the most we can for the dollar. We did get our preliminary specs completed and bids will be going out to manufactures next Friday. We pretty well have it narrowed down to 4 possible builders, Smeal, Rosenbauer, Pierce and David's Fire Equipment. All of these companies will offer us local or semi-local service. David's Fire is located in Cabot and one of our Captains is the one that builds the trucks. We would love for them to get the job but since they are very small, they may not be able to compete with the big guys on chassis prices. We will know more in about 30 days or less.

Saturday Night
Another MVA Saturday night contributed to alcohol. Luckily no one was seriously injured. The driver of the van sustained a broken leg and the other driver staggered away in a police car unhurt. You can figure the story behind that. I think I finally got home about midnight.

No comments: