Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Secret to Life

Today is my Dad's birthday. He is 90 today. Yes, 90 years old and he is still healthy and active. I called him this morning to wish him a happy birthday and during our conversation I told him that he has completed something above and beyond what is normal. I asked him what the secret to getting to 90 was and he really didn't have the answer. His only two things were having a good wife and coffee. He was married to my mom for 67 years before she died in March this year. Drinking coffee has always been something he does too. He doesn't eat a special diet, nor had he lived a perfectly clean life. He was raised on a tobacco farm in South Carolina and started smoking at a very young age. He chained smoked until he was probably 65, then quit cold turkey. Back in the 50's and 60's he managed a plant that manufactured asbestos insulation. Well, we all know how bad asbestos is. Most all the people that worked at that plant has died except for my brother and my dad. In the 60's he was also quite the drinker, but again quit cold turkey during that time. In the mid 60's to late 70's my dad drove a truck, owned his own and was on the road a lot. We all know how bad road food is. Maybe being honest and treating people right has something to do with it too. I tried to offer up the idea that it was just in the genes, but he has outlived all his brothers and most of his sisters that were younger than him.

So maybe the answer is a good woman and good coffee. If thats the case I have both! If I make it to 90 I hope to be as active as my dad. At least running makes me feel like I have a better shot at getting there.

I took this Sunday when we celebrated with family
Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I am super impressed with him AND his answers! :)

Good luck in Tulsa!